Friday, March 14, 2008

Desert Lily (Hesperocallis undulata)




This lovely flower comes with a story. When I visited Anza Borrego in 2004 I spotted a single desert lily along the road but we were in a hurry to get somewhere else so we marked a waypoint on our GPS with the plan of finding it and stopping to photograph when the light was better. On the way back down canyon I could not find it again. It was as though it had vanished. I did not find another one during that entire visit.

This time we climbed the same wash on our first night in darkness and chose a campsite at random from one of the side washes in the Fish Creek and made camp for the night. In the morning, the first thing to greet my view upon opening the tail gate in the morning was this lovely little garden, feet away from the spot we'd chosen in the dark. And there was this beautiful desert lily, as though waiting for me.

0 comments: