Monday, April 14, 2008

Wildflowers Abstracted



The more time I spend in the outdoors this year, the more adventurous I've become with my style of shooting. Beautiful light is absolutely the most obvious requirement, but the ability to push my limits creatively has been greatly improved by the amount of time I spend out there.

So, if you want to take your photography to the next level, get out there often. Get to know the area you wish to photograph. With a compass in hand, find out where the sun will rise and where it will set. Then go out during the golden hour and mine all of the possibilities.

Does this shot work for you? Leaving Coe State Park late in the afternoon, I knew that the last light would be working beautifully for me half of the way up the Blue Ridge, so I timed my trip out to coincide with the golden hour. This scene surprised me and I had to work it furously on a very steep slope without the luxury of my tripod which just would have taken the last of this moment to set up. I leaned against the bank with my whole body and layed the camera across my forearm, resting on the bank and shot. Is it completely in focus and sharp...no. But I like the dreaminess of it. I'll let you decide if it works.

0 comments: